Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Good Wife


Have you ever noticed how God does what He wants to do... whether or not you are ready or willing?  
I love my husband, I love being married, but I don't always love being a wife.  I often wonder, why is that the wife is the one that has to do the changing, make the sacrifices, and lead in compromising.  
To be completely honest, I don't like it!  My flesh doesn't strive to be the one to change, but my spirit feels the tugging of God everytime I work against it.  I can hear the Lord speaking into my ear and telling me to do do the right thing.  
Last year, for my bday, I received a couple of books from a friend about marriage, I put them on the bedside table with my Bible, with every intention of cracking them open and trying my best to become a better wife.  But truthfully, it just hasn't happened.  And isn't it funny that I notice them all the more when I am angry with my husband, and then am even more reluctant to read them.  
But here's the kicker:  I haven't cracked a book, but despite my best efforts to dismiss the idea of being "a good wife," God is teaching me the lessons anyway.  I hate it when that happens!  How you might be asking?  At work, where of course it is much more painful.  Without getting into the painful details, and without of coming to my own defense, I will just say that God is teaching me about compromise, sacrifice, keeping my mouth shut, being my own defender, and a myriad of other things that pride drives me to do.  And all this change, comes through various trials.  HMMM.... I think I have heard that before.  
Consider it all joy?!!!  Humph.... 
Why can't it come another way.... 
Yes, consider it all joy.  Cuz today, I am a better wife than I was yesterday.  And tomorrow, I will be a better wife than I am today.  I have my good days, and my bad days, but I am moving slowly forward.  And I look forward to the day, when my Heavenly Husband, stands before me and says, "Good and Faithful you have been, enter into your rest."  
(Then will He pamper me the way I deserve?  just kidding!?)  
And just so you know, my husband, is a good one.  And despite the fact that I can be a spoiled princess, he loves me anyway.  

2 comments:

God's Girl said...

I feel like I am sitting in my living room in our Koinonia group listening to what God is teaching you in your week. Awe... I miss those times.

Anyway, God is skilled at teaching us the lessons He desires. Marriage and being a good wife are at the top of His list (they are that good/hard thing).

thanks for sharing Karen. I love you my friend!

Unknown said...

yes having to learn that we have no rights is the hardest thing yet the most rewarding thing - i hold on to that every single day
to be a living sacrifice!!!