Monday, January 5, 2009

Reflections on Exodus 1


Jan. 2009
It is human nature to look back on our lives and remember "better" times.  I look at the era of the mid to late 90's fondly and see the many ways that God was working in my heart and in my life; I think about the special gifts that God had given me for that season and I think- good times.  
It is sometimes hard not to look back and wish to return to that place.  
But the essence of time makes it impossible to go back- all we can do is go forward.  
So as I read Exodus 1 I am struck by this phenomenon- the children of Israel are in a tough place in Egypt.  Scripture refers to Egypt as the furnace of affliction- and as difficult as it is for them, once they leave, once they are on the journey of fulfilling the promises God has for them, they actually look back and wish to be in that place again.  
As they journey out of Egypt, they are surrounded by the presence of God, the miracles of God, the strength of God, and the absolute awesomeness of God... He is in their midst, He fills their daily life with miracles, He is traveling before them, and He is communicating directly to them- yet- they will find room to complain, to argue, and to grumble.  And although it is obvious to us as readers that they are not on this journey alone, they will time and time again, feel abandoned by God.  
So I ask myself, "When they have seen the hand of God move so powerfully, how is it they so easily lose faith?"  But then, if they were reading my story, I am sure they would ask themselves the exact same question.  They would notice the same thing in my life that I see in theirs.  Their circumstances may not be exactly the same, but the God that was leading them, is the same God that is leading me... and we know that He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  
So, the goal isn't to look back at my past and glorify it- but to look at it and learn from my mistakes and to remember God's faithfulness is still the same... And all the things that happened to me in the past are to help me look forward and to see not from where God has brought me, but to where God is leading me and to trust that He will indeed be faithful to bring me there safely and in His time.  
--------------------------------------------------------------
We begin to see in the opening of Exodus God's faithfulness already revealed in the simple truth that tells us the more they are afflicted, the more they grow.  

 

1 comment:

betty said...

good testimony and devotional today about your thoughts on Exodus chapter 1; I totally agree with you and have thought the same thing before; the Israelites kept wanting to go back to Eygpt let they didn't have it very good there; I think they are a lot like me; afraid of change; afraid of growth; reluctant at times to go where the Lord wants me to go but always grateful when I get there

enjoy the day!

looking forward to reading more of your reflections

betty